5 Ingredient Salads
When you’re running short on time it can be daunting to think of a recipe to fill half your plate with fruits and veggies. That’s why we love quick and easy salads! These delicious salads only have 5 ingredients (plus your favourite dressing), and will leave you feeling satisfied. You can also easily prep any of these in mason jars on a prep day and have lunch for the week! Just make sure your dressing is the bottom layer, followed by the “sturdier” ingredients/vegetables (tomatoes, onions etc.) and topped with the lettuce.
- Chicken, spring mix, red onions, walnuts, raisins. If you have leftover cooked chicken this salad is refreshing and delicious. The sweetness from the red onions and raisins are a perfect topping for fresh spring mix. Top with a simple balsamic dressing. Tip: Picking up a roast chicken from the grocery store is time saving and will give you chicken for days!
- If you love your BLT sandwiches you can have the same satisfaction in salad form! Toss crispy turkey bacon, romaine lettuce, chopped tomatoes, croutons and avocado with a light ranch dressing for all the taste of your favourite sandwich in salad form!
- Nectarines, baby spinach, feta cheese, fresh cucumbers and green peppers come together for a sweet taste of summer. Top with a honey Dijon dressing. If you have pork tenderloin or chops lay them on top for a great source of protein
- Make a great Greek salad by combining tomatoes, black olives, cucumbers, feta cheese and onion. You can also make your own easy dressing by mixing thyme, olive oil, garlic and lemon.
- We love beets and they go great in a salad with strawberries, goat cheese, cherry tomatoes and fresh basil. Top this salad with a sweet lemon dressing or a light apple cider vinaigrette.
- Try a southwest style salad with black beans, corn, pico de gallo, avocado and peppers. You could top this with salsa and even eat with a side of tortilla chips.
- Roasted sweet potatoes pair well with quinoa, red peppers, sliced almonds, and celery. These flavours are so delicious on their own that you only need a light dressing of olive oil, pepper and lemon juice!
The possibilities for 5 ingredient salads are endless (even our zucchini slaw is less 5 ingredients – not including the dressing) . All it takes is a bit of creativity and a look into your fridge!
Let us know what combinations you come up with and you could be featured in a future blog post!