Adding extra veggies to sandwiches
Sandwiches are a great lunch staple, but making them healthier can be a challenge. Today we’ve assembled our favorite Half Your Plate tips to make a healthier yet delicious sandwich!
- Pile your sandwiches high with fruits and veggies. Here are our favorite combos:
- Sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and dark leafy greens are the perfect addition to a tuna fish sandwich.
- Add strips of green or red peppers and arugula to a turkey sandwich. We also love adding apples and lettuce to turkey!
- Spread mashed avocado on whole grain bread and add sliced tomatoes. In fact, swap out higher fat spreads for nutrient packed avocado. Try this Avocado Egg Pita for some inspiration.
- Chop tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and feta and wrap in pita for Greek salad on the go.
- Add veggies to your grilled cheese! Check out this great recipes for Loaded Veggie Grilled Cheese sandwiches via The Dreaming Foodie.
- Mix up a quick coleslaw of cabbage, carrots, and broccoli and pile it high on your next pulled pork sandwich. Try this Zucchini Pepper Slaw.
- Toss leftover roasted vegetables onto a bun spread with hummus for a delicious and filling sandwich. We love to use our Grilled Chopped Vegetable Salad as inspiration.
- Leftover stir fry? Toss it into a wholegrain tortilla wrap for a quick and portable lunch.
- If you feel like skipping the bread, try these easy Thai Chicken Salad wraps!
And if you can’t sneak veggies into your sandwich, make sure you fill Half Your Plate with a delicious salad!