Don’t get us wrong, we love date squares – but dates have so much more potential! This powerful fruit is high in magnesium; is a source of Vitamin B6,folacin, iron, phosphorus; is very high in fibre; is sodium-free; and is fat-free. With all these health benefits, why not add more dates into your meals? Today we’re giving you 10 great ways to enjoy dates.
1. Use them as a protein packed snacks. Soak some raw almonds and stick them into delious dates for a savory crunchy filling snack.
2. Use dates as a delicious natural sweetener for your shakes and smoothies. Try this incredibly simple recipe, or throw them into your regular smoothie as a sweet treat.
3. Use them in your baking. Dates are soft and sweet and as a result are fantastic in baking. Take a look at this breakdown of which type of date is best for which type of baking.
4. Make a sandwich! This may not be the obvious choice but because dates go so well with a salty cheese or meat, they are perfect for your sandwich. Try this special grilled cheese with a sweet side.
5. Eat them just as they are for their incredible nutritious benefits. Dates are high in iron, energy boosters and high in natural antioxidants as well as other fantastic health benefits. They’re small so you can grab a handful on the go for a great snack.
6. Start your day with a deliciously sweet breakfast. How about this date-sweetened apple pie oatmeal!
7. Are you heading out for a fall hike? Pack yourself some homemade trail mix using cereal, nuts and dates to keep you going through the day.
8. Add some fun to your salad by throwing in some chopped dates.
9. Do you need a sweet sauce to dress your vegetables, meats or dip bread in? Blend up dates with either red wine, or lemon/lime juice, or simply olive oil for a sweet and healthy sauce that goes well on just about anything.
10. Wow your dinner guests. Dates are the supporting actors in this delicious traditional Moroccan dish.
Are you inspired to try dates in one of these new dishes? We are!