Eat Right Feel Right Pasta Dish
Written by #halfyourplate friend Angela Wallace of Eat Right Feel Right
I am one of those people who loves carbs, who’s with me? Having an Italian background makes pasta a staple and it is often one of the dishes I crave most. However, I know that overeating carbs is not ideal but easy to do. That is why when I am craving pasta I always mix it with veggies and protein. This way I can still enjoy pasta, have a balanced meal, and fill half my plate with veggies.
This recipe below is packed with fiber, veggies, and will keep you feeling satisfied. The best part is, it’s simple to make. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Makes approximately 6 servings
- 375 g pasta of choice (e.g. whole wheat, spelt, gluten free)
- 1 bunch fresh kale, tear into pieces
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup, vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. pesto (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp. olive oil, split into two
- Sundried tomatoes for garnish (optional)
- 2-3 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tsp. chili flakes (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Bring lightly salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
Strain pasta, mix with 2 tbsp. olive oil and set aside.
Lightly grease pan (using 2 tbsp. oil) and add cubed chicken and onion to pan. Cover over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until thoroughly browned. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
Add cremini mushrooms and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Add broth, garlic cloves, and kale, continue to sauté for 2 minutes. Add chili flakes or any additional spices.
Add parmesan cheese and pesto, Pour mixture over oiled pasta and mix together well.
Enjoy topped with a few sundried tomatoes.
For extra veggies, fill half your plate with a side of your favourite summer salad (e.g. Greek, garden, etc.)
Cheers to happy and healthy eating,