- 1 cup pot barley
- 2 1/2 cups sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 bunch asparagus trimmed
- 2 cups cooked chopped chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a saucepan, bring barley, broth, garlic and thyme to boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until tender but still slightly chewy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, toss oil with asparagus and place on greased grill over medium high heat for about 8 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Remove to cutting board and chop into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
- Add to barley along with chicken and parsley; stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
This is a great place to use leftover roast or grilled chicken, pork or steak. For a new taste combination stir in grilled salmon instead of the chicken.