- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- 1/3 cup Bell Pepper diced
- 2 cups Kale shredded
- 1 cup Butternut Squash cooked, julienned
- 1 Gala Apple thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup Almonds slivered and toasted
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp each basil, rosemary and thyme
- 1 tbsp dijon
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Combine rice with bell peppers.
- Arrange rice, kale, butternut squash, and apple on a platter in diagonal rows.
- Top kale with almonds.
- Whisk together all ingredients for vinaigrette and spoon over salad just before serving.
Tips & Notes
Contributed by friend of Half Your Plate Laurie Barker Jackman Tips: Butternut squash is delicious roasted in the oven! Heat to 400 degrees, julienne the squash, roast with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper for approximately 10 minutes, or until tender. Some tasty protein combos for this meal include: Oven roasted chicken breast, leftover turkey, drained canned tuna, or leftover pulled pork.