Tofu Summer Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce
Full of flavour, texture, and all-round goodness, these Marinated Tofu Summer rolls are packed with wholesome ingredients and make for a perfect lunch, dinner or snack. Easy to make, just roll them up, and dip into your tasty peanut sauce. Naturally vegan too, so everyone’s a winner! Oh, and I did I mention the best part!? This recipe can alternatively be used to create a salad or to make collard wraps, just swap the rice paper rolls for your favorite leafy green.
Prep Time – 50 minutes
Cook Time – 25 minutes
Serves – 4 people
- 16 rice paper wrappers
- 400g firm tofu, drained
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, julienned sliced
- 2 small cucumbers, julienned sliced
- ¼ small red cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 head of lettuce, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves/desired herb
- Crushed roasted peanuts
Dipping Sauce & Tofu Marinate
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes, plus some for topping
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water, to reach your desired consistency
- Additional crushed peanuts and red chill flakes for topping
For the Sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients until well blended. (Depending on your desired consistency, you may need to use the full 4 tablespoons of water to thin out the mixture.)
For the Tofu
- Cut tofu into long strips. Size is completely up to you!
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and heat oven to 180° C / 350° F.
- Put tofu sticks into a shallow dish and coat in approx. 2 X tbsp of the marinade, Let them sit in the marinade for 10 minutes.
- Place marinated tofu on the prepared baking tray and bake in the middle of the oven for 20-25 mins, rotating the sticks mid way through.
- Place a damp kitchen towel onto your kitchen bench.
- Arrange your fillings on the rice roll, filling it with noodles, lettuce, red cabbage, carrot, avocado, cucumber and two sticks of tofu, plus some fresh coriander, spring onions and crushed nuts. (Don’t overfill)
- Then roll it by folding the sides over and rolling from the bottom (wrapping it tightly) I find it takes two or three practice runs to master the technique.
- Repeat until all rolls are created.
- Once all rolls are assembled, cut in half, garnish with cilantro and chopped peanuts and serve with your dipping sauce.
Tips and Tricks
- Be sure to use cool water to soften the rice paper rolls and keep your work surface wet.
- Wrap your rolls as if you would a burrito.
- These summer rolls can be made up to 2 hours in advance. Ensure to keep them tightly covered in plastic wrap at room temperature.