This recipe easily fills your slow cooker with a deliciously simple mushroom and chicken stew that’s perfect for drenching mashed potatoes. Mushroom fan? No time to forage? This dish is a great way to show off the many and varied types at your supermarket. Each enjoys its own distinctively earthy flavour. Together, they’re always a delicious way to fill Half Your Plate!
Slow Cooker Mushroom & Spinach Stew
SERVES 4 TO 6
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of vegetable oil
- 6 or 8 chicken thighs, bone-in or boneless
- 2 or 3 pounds of assorted mushrooms (or a single favourite variety)
- 2 thinly sliced onions
- 1 head of thinly sliced garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) of sherry, madeira, marsala or port
- 2 cups (500 mL) of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) of cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 mL) of salt
- lots of freshly ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- a 5-ounce tote of baby spinach
Splash the oil into a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Patiently brown the chicken thighs, turning until they’re thoroughly golden brown and delicious, 10 minutes or so. Place in your slow cooker. Dissolve any and all browned bits remaining in the pan with a splash of water and add to the works
How To Twist!
This stew is amazing as is but only gets better over mashed potatoes, any rice, grain or legume, your favourite pasta or steaming noodles. My kids particularly love big-broad slurpy egg noodles in broths like this. You can try lots of different herbs in this stew. Stronger, bolder herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, tarragon and bay are all great choices for mushroom dishes. Lighter herbs tend to be overwhelmed. Many supermarkets offer lots of different mushroom types. Each is delicious in its own way and all are great choices for this recipe.
Follow us on
Video made possible thanks to