Citrus fruits are most commonly available and at their tastiest through the winter months. And there are so many varieties that you’ll never get tired of them! Thanks to their sour taste, they add a ton of personality to everything from entrees to desserts. Here are a couple of ideas to get the most out of citrus!
Add flavor to every meal with citrus!
- Lemon is perfect for adding flavour to meals without adding salt. You can also use lemon juice to enhance the flavour of vinaigrettes and marinades.
- Add lime juice to guacamole to keep it from browning.
- Add citrus zest to plain yogurt, crepes, muffins and dressings for a refreshing zing. Don’t waste any bit of that sunshine fruit!
- Oranges, tangerines, mandarins, and clementines make great grab-and-go snacks – they even come in their own packaging!
Discover all the varieties
- Navel oranges, blood oranges, Cara Cara oranges…each variety has its own unique taste. Don’t be shy, try them all!
- If you find grapefruit too sour, try the Cara Cara orange. This variety is a cross between grapefruit and Navel orange (the most common orange to us). The skin is rosé and the fruit is sweet and seedless. A real treat for adults and children alike!
- Bitter oranges, like Seville oranges, make a great addition to sauces or marmalades.
- Have you heard of kumquats? These miniature oranges have edible skin and are in season right now! You can eat them as snack or add them to smoothie bowls.
Nourishing your body
Like all other fruits, citrus fruits are very nutritious. They have a lot of different vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Eating an orange gives you almost 100% of your daily recommended Vitamin C. In order to get the most of their nutrition you should eat them whole, since the juice doesn’t have fibre.
Store them for a while!
Citrus juice and zest freeze really well. If you keep them whole, you can store them at room temperature for about a week. To keep them the longest, store them in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.
Written by Marie-Ève Caplette, Registered Dietitian and Half Your Plate ambassador