- 2 tbs Butter or more if you're feeling indulgent
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 2-8 cloves Garlic thinly sliced
- 1 big head Broccoli cut into small pieces
- 4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth or just plain water
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Salt
- Lots of Freshly Ground Pepper
- In a soup pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Toss in the onions and garlic, stirring and sizzling as the onions soften. Add your broccoli and pour in the broth. Bring to a slow, steady simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, just long enough for the vegetables to soften but not long enough for the flavours to peak and fade, 20 minutes or so.
- In the last minute or two, stir in the nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper.
- Purée the works using your hand blender, tilting the pot and going for the depths. The longer you puree the smoother the soup. Alternatively use a food processor or blender. Ladle, serve and share!
Tips & Notes
© Chef Michael Smith