Did you know that Sheperd’s Pie is also known as Cottage Pie and dates back to 1791? This traditional dish is usually comprised of leftover roasted meat and potatoes, but more modern variations have added in veggies of all kinds.
This is an easy Half Your Plate meal as you can add in as many veggies as you’d like. Below are some tips on how to turn your Sheperd’s Pie into a delicious family standard.
- Swap some of your ground meat (whether it be lamb, beef, turkey or chicken) for lentils or mushrooms for a delicious addition. You won’t miss the meat and might end up swapping it all out!
- Use sweet potatoes in your mash. A plate of orange shepherd’s pie is a stunning thing to see! You can also mash in some cauliflower, parsnips, or turnips for an extra nutritional punch.
- Make sure to add lots of veggies as a layer of your shepherd’s pie! The options are endless. Try any of the following:
- Corn and green peas
- Onion, leeks and celery
- Carrots and green beans
- Parsley and parsnips
- Mushrooms, green beans, and tomatoes
- Broccoli and cauliflower
- We have a delicious recipe right here on Half Your Plate, try this Sheperd’s Pie with Roasted Garlic Mash that included carrots, onion, celery, lean turkey, and white kidney beans!
- Here are some great healthier recipes to try:
Shepherd’s pie is a classic dish that everyone loves, make sure you fill Half Your Plate with a complimenting salad or steamed veggies for a complete dinner!