- 1 lb potatoes yellow fleshed, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 can kidney beans white, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup milk skim, warmed
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 pkg turkey lean, ground
- 1 tsp thyme dried, leaves
- 1/4 tsp pepper fresh ground
- 2 tbsp flour all purpose
- 2 cups beef broth sodium reduced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- Cover potatoes and garlic with water in a pot and bring to the boil. Cook for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Add beans and return to the boil for 1 minute. Drain well and return to pot.
- Using a potato masher, add milk and mash potatoes and beans until smooth; set aside and keep warm.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, carrot and celery for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add turkey, thyme and pepper; cook, stirring for about 4 minutes or until turkey is browned.
- Add flour and cook, stirring until flour is absorbed. Add broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 8 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove bay leaves and pour mixture into an 8 cup (2 L) casserole dish. Spoon potato mixture over top to cover evenly.
- Bake in a preheated 400 F (200 C) oven for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are lightly golden and filling is bubbling.
Estimated Cost Per Serving: