- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 cups Cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Tumeric ground
- 1 can Lentils (19 oz) drained and rinsed
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Basmati Rice
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 cups Vegetable Broth
- Pinch each ground allspice and cardamom
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook onions and garlic, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes or until starting to become golden. Add cabbage, cumin and turmeric. Saute for 3 minutes. Add lentils, tomato and half of the salt. Cover and cook on low for 5 minutes; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan combine rice, cinnamon, broth, allspice, cardamom and remaining salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Spread rice onto platter fluffing with fork; remove cinnamon stick. Top with onion and cabbage mixture to serve.
Estimated Cost Per Serving:
Onion Cabbage and Lentils with Rice
% Daily Value*
*5% or less is a little, 15% or more is a lot
Tips & Notes
To reduce salt: use low sodium broth and no salt added beans. Recipe developed by Emily Richards