Since we couldn’t settle on just 10, here are even more ways to pack half a plate of fruits and veggies into your kid’s lunches!
1. Get creative with cauliflower! There are tons of great ways to add cauliflower to meals! Mix in with mashed potatoes, make cauliflower pizza crust, or cover steamed cauliflower in cheesy sauce for a healthier mac ‘n cheese!
2. Apple-tastic! Core apples, slice horizontally. Sandwich some peanut butter and raisins between two slices for a tasty lunchtime snack! You can also use slices of cheddar or chocolate hazelnut spread.
3. Add slices of apple or cranberries to chicken or ham sandwiches for a tasty treat!
4. Some kids enjoy vegetables more if they can dip them. Make a simple dip with low fat yogurt and low-salt pre mixed seasoning packets.
5. Let your kids pick a Veggie of the Week and try it in a new recipe.
6. Picky-eaters? Sneak zucchini, banana, and cranberries into muffins for a tasty treat with lots of fruits and veggies.
7. Fill a thermos with a healthy smoothie instead of sugary drinks. Experiment with different flavours and textures like avocado, banana, or berries!
8. Fresh fruit salads are easy and can be made with your kids ahead of time! Get creative by using a melon baller for watermelon, star cookie cutters for canteloup, and lots of colourful berries.
9. Use a simple formula of fruit or veggie + protein for a healthy snack anytime! Some examples: apples and cheese, celery and peanut butter, carrot sticks and hummus, mixed berries and almonds.
10. Make a veggie packed soup for the week for a warming and healthy lunch.