Recipe and post by Joyous Household.
The great thing about fruits and vegetables is that besides the many health benefits brought about by eating them, they are also very versatile. This means they can be used in hundreds of delicious recipes. Today’s recipe is something out of the ordinary: a delicious bread consisting of sweet potato, dried fruit and quinoa.
Sweet potatoes are one of the best dietary sources of vitamin A that there is; a cup of this vegetable when cooked provides you with more than 7 times your daily requirement! It also contains significant amounts of other nutrients, including vitamin C, the B vitamins, manganese and potassium.
Similarly, quinoa is a nutrient dense food, providing you with iron, phosphorus and zinc. It is also rich in the antioxidants quercetin & kaempferol, which help to reduce oxidative stress in the body. Additionally, the high protein and fiber content of quinoa means it satisfies one appetite well.
When combined, the sweet potato, dried fruit and quinoa make this bread incredibly nutrient dense and filling. You can eat it at any time of the day, be it breakfast, as a snack in between main meals or after working out.
The ingredients needed to prepare this bread are:
1 cup of sweet potato (squared), 3/4 cup of mixed dried fruit (chopped), 2 cups of raw quinoa, 1/2 cup of chia seeds, 1/4 cup of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, a pinch of sea salt and 1/2 cup of water
- Soak the quinoa overnight in plenty of water and drain the following day. This will soften and fluff it up, making it easier to handle.
- Cover the chia seeds with water and allow them to sit for 15 – 20 minutes. During this time, they will absorb a lot of the water and form a thick gel like substance that will help to bind the other ingredients together.
- Steam or bake the sweet potato squares until a fork can easily pierce their flesh. This should generally take 5 – 10 minutes, depending on the cooking method used.
- Add all of the ingredients besides the dried fruit to a food processor and process for approximately 3 – 4 minutes, until you are left with a homogenous mixture. Alternatively, you can use a stand mixer (like the kind used for bread dough) to combine all of the ingredients together.
- Pour the mixture into a baking tin that has been lined with greaseproof paper or greased with some coconut oil. Add in the dried fruit and mix everything well with a wooden or plastic spoon. Be sure to flatten the top of the mixture with the spoon.
- Bake the mixture in an oven that has been preheated to 160 °C. It should generally take 75 – 90 minutes for the bread to be ready. When it is, it will be thoroughly cooked throughout, with no semi liquid areas.
Then all you need to do is place the bread on a chopping board, cut it into thick slices and enjoy with family and friends!