Swapping carbs for veggies!
It’s easy to add veggies to replace traditional carbs like pasta or rice at dinner. By doing so you’ll get lots more nutrients, and we promise you’ll still feel just as satisfied.
- Spaghetti squash is the perfect substitute for pasta. Simply slice the squash in half, brush with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast cut side down on a sheet pan in the oven at 400 for 35-45 minutes or until strands can easily be pulled with a fork. Let it cool down a bit then use a fork to remove all the strands from the shell. Pair with your favorite marinara sauce and parmesan cheese for a nutritious and complete meal. Try this delicious recipe with our marinara!
- Zoodles are sweeping the nation, one meal at a time! You can turn pretty much any veggie into a “zoodle” but the most typical variation is made with zucchini. Simply grab a spiralizer or spiral peeler at your local kitchen store and you’re ready to go. Check out these Zoodles with pesto or these Sweet Potato Curly Fries to get you started.
- Add some extra veggies to your typical mash! These veggies add great flavour to mashed potatoes:
- Sweet potatoes
- Parsnip or turnip
- Winter squash
- Don’t forget the herbs too! Garlic, savory, thyme, and oregano all add nice flavour to mash.
- Speaking of cauliflower, this veggie is so versatile it can take the place of many traditional carbs including:
- “Rice.” Just place cauliflower florets into a food processor and pulse until it resembles rice or couscous. Either steam quickly or sauté and serve. Check out our easy stir fry to get started.
- Swap out half of your pasta for cauliflower the next time you’re making mac and cheese. Just drop it into the pasta pot when the pasta has two minutes left of cooking time. Toss with your favorite cheese sauce and voila! You can also add steamed pureed cauliflower mixed with cheese sauce as a layer of lasagna for extra veggie goodness.
- Pizza crust. Check out this delicious recipe to learn how to make your own cauliflower pizza crust.
- Craving a wrap? Instead of tortillas or pita, try wrapping them in iceberg lettuce, romaine hearts, or kale! Try these Thai Chicken Salad Wraps to get you started!
- Bread or buns. Try swapping out hamburger buns for portabella mushroom caps. They are delicious and will accentuate the beef nicely. We have a great easy Mediterranean burger you can start with. You can also roast eggplant or zucchini in the oven and top them with bruschetta for a Half Your Plate bread hack. Check out this delicious recipe via Smitten Kitchen for some inspiration!