- 3 lbs Chicken Thighs or Breasts skinless
- 1 small Sweet Onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced or grated
- 2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Oregano dried
- 2 tsp Paprika smoked
- 2 tsp Thyme dried
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 dried Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Salt and Pepper or to taste
- 6 oz Can Tomato Paste
- 4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 bunch Broccoli rabe ends trimmed and roughly chopped
- 12 oz Jar Roasted Red Pepper sliced
- 15 oz Can Cannellini Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese freshly grated, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup Parsley chopped, plus more for serving
- In the bowl of a 6-8 quart crockpot pot, add the chicken, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano, paprika, thyme, allspice, crushed red pepper flakes, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Add the tomato paste, chicken broth and balsamic vinegar. Give everything a gentle stir to combine. Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours (or 4-6 hours on high) stirring once or twice if possible.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir the broccoli rabe, roasted red peppers and cannellini beans together and add to the crockpot. Crank the heat up to high, cover and let cook 20-30 minutes longer.
- Lightly shred the chicken with two forks; it should just fall apart. Stir in the parmesan and parsley.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with parmesan + crusty bread for dipping.
- *If you prefer, you may add the broccoli rabe in the beginning of the cooking, but just know it will be cooked down a bit more. It’s still delicious this way, it just has a little less firmness to it.
Estimated Cost Per Serving:
Tips & Notes
To lower sodium: use no salt added beans and cut salt and parmesan in half. Recipe developed by Tieghan Girard and contributed by Half Your Plate Industry Partner Andy Boy