- 3 medium Eggplants sliced into 1 inch rounds
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Egg white
- 1 1/2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 yellow Onion diced
- 1 cup Cremini Mushrooms diced
- 1 Carrot diced
- 1 Zucchini Diced
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed or finely chopped
- 1 can Whole tomatoes unsalted, San Marzano style is our favourite
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste unsalted
- 3-5 Basil leaves to taste
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Ricotta low-fat
- 2 cups Mozzarella low-fat
- 1 Egg
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl, dip each eggplant slice into egg followed by breadcrumbs. Place eggplant on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Spray the eggplant with cooking spray then bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn eggplant, spray again, and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes. You can also skip the breading and just roast the eggplant in the oven with salt and pepper for approximately 25 minutes.
- While the eggplant is cooking, make the marinara. In a saucepan over medium high, heat olive oil until shimmering. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add carrots and zucchini and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to sauté until mushrooms have released their water.
- Lastly, add garlic and sauté for one more minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and basil and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce to a simmer and cook on low with lid for 30 minutes. Once sauce has reduced, add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- For the cheese “sauce,” beat together ricotta, egg, and one cup of the mozzarella and set aside.
- Time to layer! Spread a bit of marinara at the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, then layer eggplant, marinara, eggplant, cheese and repeat until all ingredients are used. Top off the lasagna with the remaining cup of mozzarella.
- Bake at 375 covered with aluminum foil for 30 minutes or until heated through. Remove foil and bake for 15 more minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbly.
Estimated Cost Per Serving:
Tips & Notes
Make a triple batch of this sauce and freeze it for future meals! If you do bread the eggplant you can make this dish ahead and bake the night you want to serve it. It may need 60 minutes instead of 45.