- 1 small butternut squash about 1 kg/2 lbs
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped fresh
- 1 tsp curry powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp pepper freshly ground
- 4 cups chicken broth no salt added
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 pkg mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 tsp rosemary chopped fresh or 1/4dried
- 1 tsp thyme chopped fresh or 1/2dried
- 2 tbsp goat cheese (optional)
- Peel and remove seeds from squash. Chop squash into 2.5 cm (1 inch) pieces and place in large bowl.
- Add 3 of the garlic cloves, parsley, curry powder, if using, pepper and 75 mL (1/3 cup) of the chicken broth and stir to coat. Spread onto parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast in 220 C (425 F) oven for about 40 minutes or until tender and golden.
- Meanwhile, in large non-stick skillet heat oil over medium high heat and cook mushrooms, remaining garlic, rosemary and thyme for about 8 minutes or until golden brown and liquid has evaporated; set aside.
- Scrape butternut squash into blender and puree with 500 mL (2 cups) of the broth until smooth. Pour into saucepan and add remaining broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top with mushrooms and crumble goat cheese on top to serve.
Estimated Cost Per Serving: