- 1 small Rutabaga about 1 1/2 lb, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 can Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp Ginger fresh, minced
- 1 small Thai Chili Pepper sliced
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tbsp Fresh Mint chopped
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 6 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 large Carrot grated
- 1 cup Plain 3% M.F yogurt
- 1 tbsp Each Chopped Fresh Mint and Cilantro
- 1 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp Salt and Pepper, each
- In a large pot of boiling water cook rutabaga and garlic for about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well and scrape into food processor; pulse until coarse; scraping down sides. Return to pot and pulse chickpeas in food processor until coarse and add to pot. Heat pot over medium heat and add ginger, chili pepper and cumin; cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in mint and salt; let cool until easy to handle.
- Shape mixture into 6 patties. Heat half of the oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat and pan fry patties in batches, for about 10 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with Carrot raita.
- In a large bowl, stir together carrot, yogurt, mint, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper; cover and refrigerate.
Estimated Cost Per Serving:
Rutabaga Chickpea Patties
% Daily Value*
*5% or less is a little, 15% or more is a lot
Tips & Notes
Tip: Use two spatulas to help turn over patties to keep shape. You can shape the patties and refrigerate for up to 1 day ahead before browning. The carrot raita can be made up to 1 day ahead, simply stir well before using. Recipe developed by Emily Richards