- 2 Frozen Bananas
- 2-3 Ice Cubes
- 1/2 cup Kale frozen
- 2 tbsp Ground Flaxseeds
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/2-1 cup Unsweetened Soy Milk or any plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup Walnuts
- 1 tbsp Coconut Flakes
- 1/4 cup Cacao Nibs
- 2-3 Large Strawberries sliced
- Peel and freeze bananas overnight. Make sure that bananas are slightly over-ripe with brown spots. This makes for the best testing smoothie bowl.
- You can also do the same for the kale, but unfrozen kale works just as well.
- Place the bananas, kale, ice cubes flax seeds and cocoa powder into a blender. Pour the soy milk in, but the less you can use to blend the thicker it will be. Start with ½ cup and increase if needed depending on your blender.
- Blend until smooth and thick.
- Pour into bowl and garnish with strawberries, coconut flakes, cacao nibs and walnuts as shown in the photos. Enjoy with a spoon!
- The main thing for making a good smoothie bowl is making it thick and easy to eat with a spoon. This is easy if you have a powerful frozen-fruit capable blender. The less liquid you use, the thicker it will be, but the harder it is to blend. Having a blender with a tampering device is also helpful, because it keeps things from getting stuck on the sides.*
Estimated Cost Per Serving:
Tips & Notes
Recipe written by Half Your Plate friend Joey Bruno of ThriveCuisine.com *If your blender is on the weaker side, consider thawing the bananas for 3-5 minutes before blending or simply adding more liquid. The less liquid you add, the thicker it will be.