- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Strained Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 cups Dried Instant Rice
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 medium-sized Red Onion finely diced
- 1 each Red and Yellow Pepper finely diced
- 1 cup Corn
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 Tomato diced
- 1 Avocado diced
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper thinly sliced (seeds removed if you don't like spice!)
- 1/2 cup Cilantro finely chopped
- Fresh Salsa and Sour Cream
- Heat olive oil in a deep, large pot over med-high heat. Add ground beef, season with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, and cook for 3-4 min, breaking up meat.
- Add chicken broth, strained tomatoes, salsa and instant rice, stirring to combine. Cook on med-high heat, stirring often, for 13-15 min or until rice is completely cooked.
- Stir in black beans, red onion, peppers and corn and cook for another 2-3 min. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Serve in large bowls and top with diced tomato, avocado, sliced jalapeno pepper, cilantro, salsa and sour cream.
Estimated Cost Per Serving:
Tips & Notes
Recipe from Half Your Plate friend The Girl on Bloor