- 3 cups Squash peeled and chopped
- 4 Tomatoes chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Parsley fresh chopped
- 2 tbsp Oregano fresh chopped
- 1/2 tsp Hot Pepper Flakes
- 6 cups Cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Thyme fresh, chopped
- 4 cups 2% Milk
- Pinch Fresh Grated Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- In a large bowl, toss together squash, tomatoes, onion and garlic. Drizzle with oil and add parsley, oregano and hot pepper flakes; toss to coat well. Spread onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roast in 425 F (220 C) oven for 25 minutes.
- Spread cabbage, tossed with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of the salt and pepper over top and roast for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and golden.
- Bechamel Sauce: In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and thyme; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk until combined. Cook, stirring for about 8 minutes or until thickened; stir in nutmeg. Remove from heat and stir in cheese; set aside.
- Spoon 1/3 of the squash mixture onto bottom of 8 inch (1.5 L) baking dish. Spread with 1/3 of the bechamel. Repeat layers twice. Place baking dish on a baking sheet and bake in 350 F (180 C) oven for about 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Tips & Notes
Recipe developed by Emily Richards