- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock sodium reduced
- 3 small sweet potatoes peeled and cubed (about 2 lbs/1 kg)
- 1 can tomatoes diced (28oz)
- 1 can red kidney beans low sodium, drained and rinsed, 19 oz/540 mL
- 1 green pepper diced
- 3 cups cooked brown rice hot
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin and cinnamon for 5 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle with flour and cook stirring for 1 minutes. Add stock and stir until smooth.
- Add sweet potatoes and tomatoes; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or until almost tender. Add beans and pepper and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and slightly thickened. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve over brown rice.
Estimated Cost Per Serving:
Tips & Notes
Acknowledgement Developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©2011 The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada Reproduced with the permission of Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.