- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 6 carrots chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder or paste, mild
- 1 cup lentils brown or green
- 2 tsp thyme leaves dried
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth sodium reduced
- 2 apples empire, golden delicious or cortland cored and chopped
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and cook carrots, onion and curry powder for about 5 minutes or until onion softens. Stir in lentils, thyme and garlic. Pour in water and broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add chopped apples and simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils and carrots are tender.
- Puree soup in blender or food processor in batches until smooth and return to a clean pot.
- Heat through and stir in hot pepper sauce to taste if using.