- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne optional
- 1 medium sweet potato cut into ¼” cubes (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 540 ml can chickpeas (rinsed, drained)
- 1/2 cup pot barley
- 1 tomato plum, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth no-salt added
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 cup peas frozen, thawed
- 5 prunes cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- plain Greek yogurt garnish
- cilantro chopped, garnish
- In large pot or Dutch oven, heat canola oil over medium heat.
- Cook ginger, garlic, onion and spices for 3 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, chickpeas, barley and tomato. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broth and salt (if using a salted broth, you won’t need the salt).
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add peas and prunes. Cook for 5 minutes. Add water or broth if stew becomes dry.
- Add lemon juice after heat is turned off.
- Ladle into bowls, and top with plain Greek yogurt and chopped cilantro.
Estimated Cost Per Serving:
Chickpea sweet potato stew with barley
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Tips & Notes
Developed by Zannat Reza, 2014