- 3 tbsp Canola Oil divided
- 3 Shallots diced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers seeded and minced or 1 small habanero
- 1 tbsp Ginger minced
- 1 cup Red Lentils
- 3 1/2 cups Vegetable Broth low sodium
- 1 pint Grape Tomatoes halved
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin or Garam Masala
- 1 bunch Rapini trimmed
- 3/4 Salt
- 4 cloves Garlic sliced
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, shallots, garlic, jalapenos and ginger; stirring for about 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in lentils to coat. Add broth; cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in tomatoes and cumin; simmer for about 5 minutes or until tomatoes have softened.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling water, blanch rapini for about 3 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain well and let cool slightly. Chop coarsely; set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet over medium low heat and fry sliced garlic for about 5 minutes or until light golden and crisp. Remove with tongs or slotted spoon onto paper towel lined plate. Return oil to medium heat and saute rapini and salt for about 5 minutes to heat through.
- Ladle daal into shallow bowl and top with rapini and garlic to serve.
Estimated Cost Per Serving:
Tips & Notes
Recipe developed by Emily Richards