- 1 cup Pot or pearl barley
- 2 Bay leaves
- 8 oz Ground turkey
- 1 tbsp Canola oil
- 1 Eggplant chopped
- 1/4 cup Sundried Tomatoes in oil, drained, finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tsp Oregano leaves
- 3 cups Kale Leaves chopped
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 tsp Each Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 cup Feta Cheese light, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley chopped
- In a pot of boiling water, cook barley and bay leaves for about 35 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain and remove bay leaves; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown turkey; remove to bowl and keep warm. Return skillet and oil to medium heat and cook eggplant, sundried tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Stir in kale and broth; let cook for about 5 minutes or until kale is wilted.
- Stir barley and turkey into eggplant mixture with feta and parsley. Scrape into a 13 x 9 inch (3 L) casserole dish. Bake in preheated 400 F (200 C) oven for 10 minutes or until cheese starts to melt.
Tips & Notes
Tip: To make the casserole ahead, cover and bake in preheated 350 F (180 C) oven for about 20 minutes or until cheese is slightly melted and casserole is hot. Recipe developed by Emily Richards