- 1 small Cauliflower leaves removed
- 1 pkg (8oz) Button Mushrooms halved
- 1 each Carrot and Celery Stalk
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme divided
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 3 cups Water
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1/3 cup Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Salt to taste optional
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boil.
- Meanwhile, cut cauliflower into florets similar size as the mushrooms. Cut carrot and celery into 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick slices.
- Place vegetables into water separately. Cook cauliflower for about 2 minutes or until tender crisp. Using a slotted spoon or small strainer remove and place into a large bowl. Cook mushrooms for 2 minutes. Remove and add to cauliflower. Repeat with carrot and celery for 2 minutes and add to bowl. Toss gently and then start placing the vegetables into 3 to 4 jars. Add half of the thyme sprigs and rosemary to the jars; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine water, lemon rind and juice, oil, remaining thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes. Pour into jars to cover vegetables. Let cool and seal. Refrigerate for up to 10 days. Remove from liquid and sprinkle with salt when serving if desired.
Estimated Cost Per Serving:
Tips & Notes
Tip: You will need about 2 large lemons to get 1/3 cup (75 mL) of lemon juice. Try and pick up a few extra just in case they are smaller or not very juicy. For longer strips of lemon zest, you can use a vegetable peeler and then thinly slice the zest. Or use a zester, a microplane will give you very small and thin zest. Break up the fresh herbs into smaller pieces to divide among jars. Use wide mouth 500 mL jars for easier filling. Recipe developed by Emily Richards