- 1/2 cup Black Lentils
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Red Onion
- 2 heaping tsp Garlic minced
- 1 cup Mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups Baby Spinach roughly chopped
- 1 cup Pasta Sauce homemade or store bought
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Mozzarella shredded
- 3 assorted Red Peppers sliced in half, stems intact and cleaned
- Cooking Spray
- Rinse thoroughly and pick over the lentils as needed. Boil lentils in 2 cups unsalted water for 20-30 min. or until to desired doneness. I like them still a little crunchy and not mushy. Drain the lentils in a fine mesh strainer and let cool.
- Meanwhile sauté the onion and garlic in a large sauté pan with the olive oil for about 2-3 min. or until onions are translucent. Add in the mushrooms and cook until softened.
- Preheat the oven to 400F and spray a 9x13” pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add the spinach now to the mushroom mixture and cook until wilted. Add the lentils, tomato sauce, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until heated through.
- Fill each pepper half with the lentil stuffing and top with cheese. Bake for 30-35 min. uncovered for a browned top or covered and then broiled if desired for a lighter browned cheese topping. Serve immediately.
Estimated Cost Per Serving:
Tips & Notes
Recipe developed by Half Your Plate blogger friend Tara Noland