- 1 lb beets about 5 medium
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1/3 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 2 navel oranges
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp grated orange rind
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp liquid honey
- 1 clove garlic small, grated
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Wash beets and wrap in foil.
- Place in 200 C (400 F) oven for about 1 hour and 30 minutes or until knife slides easily into beets.
- Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Remove skin and slice thinly; set aside.
- Spread greens onto platter and sprinkle with red onions then top with beets.
- With a chef’s knife and using sawing motion cut skin and white pith from oranges and cut between membranes to make segments.
- Sprinkle over top of greens; set aside.
- Orange poppy seed dressing: In small bowl, whisk together oil, orange rind and juice, vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic and poppy seeds. (Grating rather than crushing the garlic gives it smoother texture.)
- Drizzle over salad mixture and serve.
Estimated Cost Per Serving: