- 3/4 cups Pot Barley or pearl barley
- 3 cups Watermelon diced
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Fresh Basil chopped
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups Baby Arugula
- 1 pkg Halloumi Cheese sliced crosswise into 6 pieces
- 1/4 cup Oil Cured Black Olives or Kalamata olives, slivered
- Bring barley to boil in a pot of water and boil for about 25 minutes or until tender and slightly chewy. Drain well and rinse under cold water.
- In a large bowl, toss together cooked barley, watermelon, 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the oil, basil and salt.
- Spread arugula over a platter and top with watermelon mixture; set aside.
- Brush halloumi with remaining oil and grill over medium heat until marked. Remove from heat and place over top of salad. Sprinkle olives over top to serve.
Estimated Cost Per Serving:
Tips & Notes
To reduce salt: substitute halloumi for lower sodium cheese like goat cheese. Recipe developed by Emily Richards